Monday, April 20, 2020

Feature Story


           Makeup doesn’t define a person and there character however, for Louisa Williams makeup and its industry became her life. She is an African American woman who has faced a lot of discrimination based on the color of her skin. During this heart felt and emotional interview I have gotten closer to Ms. Williams.  The professional make up artist and beauty consultant began her love for makeup at the age of 7 in which she believed when younger she always wanted to deal with healthcare and beauty because she deeply cared about “how I look and gained Interest in the way that others looked.” Wanting to assist in maintaining healthy, happy skin while being able to enhance it with makeup that isn't detrimental to the skin. At the age of 7 when received the first child set of makeup with the heart shaped lip gloss and the lightly colored eye shadow “I wouldn't leave my room for hours if I didn't have my makeup perfect” she stated.
           She is now 37 years of age and doesn’t believe to be retiring in this business anytime soon. Her mother was really in tune with the way she looked, even if just going to the grocery store her makeup was always done and to perfection. “Then I knew I always wanted to partake in beauty and just help others enhance their outer and inner beauty equally.” She stated as she explained what peaked her interest in the industry. At this point of the interview, she began to get emotional as she described her mother a beautiful soul who was well driven in the same industry. “She was so beautiful, she passed away 3 years ago and I just wanted to carry on what she enjoyed on a daily basis, makeup.” As she continued, she explained that her parents were in fact her first clients. She would practice on her regularly and when she wasn't around her dad would occasionally allow her to play on his face, just being a good sport. she received her first adult kit around the age of 10 and mom suggested the best way to learn was an actual person so she set up a little studio just for them, sat in the chair and pretended to be an actual client. She actually went to the mall with the look on gloating that her daughter completed it. Besides her mother she shared that her first actual client was a young lady who was preparing for prom at the age of 12 once my work got promoted and it turned into a learning experience.
          Now she is a professional that has previously worked with many celebrities making a name for herself although it wasn’t an easy process. She shared during one of the interview questions that one of her greatest adversities was discrimination. “A lot of clients refuse or turn away from my service because I am African American and they believe that I cannot achieve the look they are going for.” This causes a lot of sales to deplete in certain times, however in other times the clients could be convinced otherwise that I in fact do very decent work. It didn’t just stop there. Not only did she face difficulties when trying to gain new clientele however, during the services she provides she also faced many issues.  Sometimes sessions could be tough to complete because there are people who have kids as well as people who are sick. Those who have kids may cause many items to break and it’s hard to keep focused when having to watch after a client’s children. When clients are sick it’s also hard to focus because you try to ensure your own safety and stay far yet close to the patient to complete the look.

LOUISA WILLIAMS: Today I am shaped by the discrimination thrown at me every day. I am an educated African American and no one can stop me from achieving my goals and living my dream. A quote from my mom before she left us that I live by is " no matter what, you wake up and sleep to yourself every night. you have to live with yourself therefore impress no one but yourself." and everyday i seek improvement within myself for no other than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment